May 3, 2013

Letter to a 10-Pin

Dear 10-Pin,

I'm not sure if you remember me, but you will be etched into my memory for a long time, defiantly staring me in the face as your nine friends lay in the pit behind you. I really wish you would have joined your friends.

I suppose it was destiny. I predicted it would happen over the course of my bowling career, joking that you would one day ruin my first run at a perfect game. I wasn't really sure when it would happen, but I suppose I should thank you for not waiting until my twelfth shot and putting me out of my misery in the eighth frame.

Actually, I really do want to thank you. You've helped me gain a bit more confidence. I now know that I can throw eleven strikes in a game and make twelve consecutive perfect throws. But I now also realize that there is a good bit of luck that goes into every 300 game; good bowlers just put themselves in better position to be the recipient of that luck more consistently than everyone else. I've worked hard taking each step in getting closer to being one of those bowlers, and you are now the only thing standing between me and perfection.

We have been enemies for some time, but all I could do was shake my head and smile when I saw you standing there. It was meant to be. And I know that one day, hopefully some day soon, you will fall with the others and I will have my moment.

You remain my motivation,

Zach from Bowling in the Burgh

No comments:

Post a Comment