November 22, 2011

What I'm Thankful For

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I thought I would share with you some of the things I am thankful for this league season:

Turkeys

While the bird is tastey, I prefer the kind of turkey that is comprised of three big Xs.  A turkey can help you salvage a less than stellar game in a big way.  It is also a great indication that you have got the lanes figured out.  The best kind of turkeys are the ones that travel in a group of four, but all turkeys are welcome when I'm on the lanes.  If nothing else, the appearance of a turkey can usually get one of my teammates to gobble.

Messenger Pin

I am ever so thankful for the messenger pin, when it decides to make an appearance on the lanes.  This pin usually turns a frustrating solid 10-pin into a strike or saves me from the embarassment of a 7-10 split, so what's not to like?  Besides, the messenger gives me the opportunity to turn around with an "I-knew-I-had-it-all-the-way" smile on my face.

Heavy Oil Down the Middle

I'm not a terribly accurate bowler, but luckily I am usually close enough to my marks that I can rely on the oil pattern to save me from a truly awful hit.  I'm particularly thankful when there is heavy oil down the middle of the lane, as this prevents my ball from either crossing over in front of the headpin or hooking right off the lane altogether.  I cannot begin to count the number of times this oil has saved me from a big split or missing the 4-pin.

That Guy Bowling Worse Than Me

I am always truly thankful to that one bowler each week who is doing worse than I am.  No matter how far underaverage I may be, on any given week there is always someone who is doing worse.  It really puts things in perspective: "Man, I sure sucked tonight, but at least I'm not that guy."   So I give thanks, whoever you are, for making my next bad night seem not so bad.

What are you thankful for this league season?

2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for a wife that lets me bowl 3 times a week.

    I'm thankful for teammates that laugh at my expense, instead of cussing me out, when I miss an easy spare.

    I'm thankful for the fluke split conversions I've made that have salvaged many a game this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also thankful for the last one. Its always a good feeling to convert a split, and sometimes that's just the kick in the butt you need to get back on track.

    I am also thankful for an understanding wife. We have a 5 month old daughter at home, and she still lets me go bowling on Thursday nights. I hope she continues to be so understanding when I broach the subject of joining a summer league this year.

    ReplyDelete