May 23, 2013

Week 34 & The Pay Out

Despite our team accumulating the most overall points during the season we fell short of winning either half and, therefore, were not competing for the league championship.

For those of us not bowling for first place week 34 was another no-tap fun fest with a 9 count or better earning a strike in the first game, an 8 count or better in the second game and a 7(!) count or better in the third game. I managed to throw only 36 times to earn a 9-pin and 7-pin no tap 300 and an 8-pin no tap 287. It was disappointing that we weren't in the running for the championship, but it was even more disappointing that we didn't have to defend our third place finish in the final week.

We were unable to attend the league banquet the following weekend and so we didn't receive our payout until May 20th, but it was well worth the wait.  Those two no tap 300 games earned me $10 each, which meant that my one bad ball in the second game cost me $10. In addition, I received some money for perfect attendance since I rolled off the few weeks I missed for my surgery. I also won some money for the men's high scratch series.  As a team we earned money for finishing in third place and for throwing the high team handicap game, which held up through the majority of the season.

Now that I know what to expect I prefer this league over the one I bowled in the last two fall seasons. Overall the people are friendlier and there are financial reports issued every quarter, which was an improvement from the other league. On an individual level the competitiveness wasn't really there, only two of us finished with a 200+ average, but I think that is something that can be improved upon. I had a great time and look forward to going back next fall.

Coming up soon I will have a recap of the season's performance and I will start my summer practice regimen.  And I will finally tabulate the SPL results and what they mean for the future of league bowling.

No comments:

Post a Comment